Installation on Windows
Crossbar.io is a Python application, with a few additional dependencies. Since Windows does not have a builtin package management for applications, installing Crossbar.io requires installing some of these dependencies manually.
There are two possibilities to install Crossbar.io:
- [Installation using the PyPi] (Python Package Index) - quick install of the latest release version
- Installation from Source - building everything (but Python) from sources
Installing the Dependencies¶
Crossbar.io is a Python application. In addition to Python, setup requires the PyWin32 additions,
pip (a Python package manager) and the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler for Python 2.7.
- Download and install Python for Windows 2.7.x - 32-bit even on 64-bit systems (strongly recommended)
PATH('Control Panel' - 'System' - 'Change Settings' - 'Advanced' - 'Environment Variables' - 'Path' is part of the system variables)
- Download and install PyWin32 - 32-bit version for Python 2.7 - 'win32'
- If you're on any Python version previous to 2.7.9, you need to install
pip. Download the
get-pipscript and run this (works from Windows Explorer or the download dialog of your browser).
- Download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler for Python 2.7
Now you can install Crossbar.io by opening a command shell and doing
pip install crossbar
This installs Crossbar.io from the Python Package Index.
To verify that the installation was successful, in the shell do
which should output something like:
C:\Users\IEUser>crossbar version __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ / `|__)/ \/__`/__`|__) /\ |__) |/ \ \__,| \\__/.__/.__/|__)/~~\| \. |\__/ Crossbar.io : 0.13.0 Autobahn : 0.13.1 (with JSON, MessagePack, CBOR) Twisted : 16.1.1-IOCPReactor LMDB : 0.89/lmdb-0.9.18 Python : 2.7.11/CPython OS : Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Machine : x86
Installation from Source¶
Recently, Microsoft has published a compiler package specifically for building Python binary extensions on Windows which simplifies matters a lot.
- Download and install the compiler package.
- Open "Visual C++ 2008 32-bit Command Prompt" from the "Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler Package for Python 2.7" program folder
- Change to the
crossbar/crossbardirectory and type
pip install -e .[all]
Running Crossbar.io from the Git shell¶
Git shell on Windows no longer shows any logging output for Crossbar.io if this is started regularly (
To get logging output, do
winpty crossbar start
(The above only applies to Git shell - not the regular Windows command shell and Powershell.)